- Providing basic necessities like food, shelter and medical care to growing populations in developing countries around the world
- Assessing the effects of global climate change and providing emergency services following natural disasters.
- Administering programs that support homeland security and fight terrorism.
- Limiting the spread of HIV and other infectious diseases.
- Providing equal educational opportunities and health care for all segments of the population.
- Helping former convicts transition into productive lives.
public administration was synonymous with a government career. In the past few decades, the emergence of what has been called the "new public sector" has expanded public service administration to include nonprofits/NGOs, educational institutions and private companies. This means that there are more opportunities than ever before for MPA careers. The challenging problems that are facing the public today require trained professionals who can define and administer the public agenda. Here are a few of the high-profile problems that are being addressed by public administration jobs: