The School of Public Affairs (SPA) at the University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to providing multi-disciplinary learning and research opportunities for graduate students and faculty. Some of the signature areas that the school focuses on are Education Policy, Local Government and Climate Change and the Environment. The University of Colorado Denver SPA is current ranked as the 10th best school for Environmental Policy and Management by U.S. News & World Report
. In addition to its MPA program, the University of Colorado offers a dual MPA and Master of Criminal Justice program. The dual MPA/MCJ degree program provides both generalist and specialist skills that can be applied to public service and criminal justice settings.
University of Colorado Denver MPA Curriculum
The goal of the University of Colorado Denver MPA program is to provide students with the knowledge, skills and experiences needed for leadership positions in public and nonprofit organizations. The program also emphasizes ethical standards that can be used to guide decision-makers. The University of Colorado recognizes that MPA students come from a variety of academic and professional backgrounds, and may be at very different stages in their life and career. In order to best suit these differences, the SPA offers a variety of learning formats:
- Traditional MPA: requires 36 semester hours that may be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. An additional three semester hours of field study are required for students who have limited professional experience. Within the traditional MPA program, there is an accelerated option that allows students who agree to an intensive focus to complete the degree in one year.
- Executive MPA: designed for mid-level to senior professionals who want to enhance their management skills and further their nonprofit or public policy expertise. The program requires 30 semester hours of credit. The West Slope Option MPA is another flexible option for working professionals. This program, which consists of weekend class with an intensive format, serves students residing in counties west of the Rocky Mountains.
- Online MPA: This streamlined program allows both in-state and out-of-state students to complete courses in an online environment.
University of Colorado Denver MPA Specializations
Students in the University of Colorado Denver MPA program have the opportunity to concentrate their area of study by choosing one of these specialization topics:
- Local Government
- Environmental Policy, Management and Law
- Emergency Management and Homeland Security
- Domestic Violence
- Nonprofit Management
According to the SPA Certificates and Concentrations website
, about half of the graduate students complete one of the specific concentrations listed above, while the other half choose electives from several concentration areas. Each student should consider his or her professional goals and interests in determining which route to take.
University of Colorado Denver MPA Tuition
The basic tuition-per-credit hour for Colorado residents, out-of-state residents, instructional and mandatory fees (which vary according to program option) and information about financial aid can all be found at the School of Public Affairs Costs and Financing website
University of Colorado Denver MPA Admissions
Graduate students at the University of Colorado Denver are expected to apply online on the Apply Online website
. Additional application materials, including application fees, letters of recommendation, test scores and transcripts must be mailed to the School of Public Affairs. For more information about admission requirements and deadlines, visit the SPA Admissions